Mercury poisoning


Reading — Intermediate Level
Share this exercise

Read the text and answer the questions

Mercury poisoning is a type of metal poisoning due to exposure to mercury. Symptoms depend upon the type, dose, method, and duration of exposure. They may include muscle weakness, poor coordination, numbness in the hands and feet, skin rashes, anxiety, memory problems, trouble speaking, trouble hearing, or trouble seeing. High-level exposure to methylmercury is known as Minamata disease. Methylmercury exposure in children may result in acrodynia (pink disease) in which the skin becomes pink and peels. Long-term complications may include kidney problems and decreased intelligence. The effects of long-term low-dose exposure to methylmercury are unclear.

Forms of mercury exposure include metal, vapor, salt, and organic compound. Most exposure is from eating fish, amalgam based dental fillings, or exposure at work. In fish, those higher up in the food chain generally have higher levels of mercury. Less commonly, poisoning may occur as a method of attempted suicide. Human activities that release mercury into the environment include the burning of coal and mining of gold. Tests of the blood, urine, and hair for mercury are available but do not relate well to the amount in the body.

Prevention includes eating a diet low in mercury, removing mercury from medical and other devices, proper disposal of mercury, and not mining further mercury.
Source: Wikipedia
  1. Mercury is a kind of   .

  2. A   refers to the quantity of any substance taken.

  3. When the muscles become numb they   .

  4.   contain high level of mercury.

  5.   is one of the best methods of preventing mercury hazard.


Practice your writing skills by discussing the questions below

  1. What are the sources of mercury?

  2. When can mercury become dangerous to our health?


    Need help?

    Ask a question or reserve a class with Jennifer



    From English
    No translation